Maroochydore SLSC 1924 – 45


Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club Back Then, 1924 - 45
Club founded on 1 January 1916
First clubhouse opened on 3 November 1924

The Maroochydore Surf Life Saving Club was formed by 12 patrolling members with the assistance of the Royal Life Saving (Qld) Head Centre and local community leaders on New Year's Day 1916. Five rescues were performed in boisterous seas the very next day.

Until 1924 there was only a small bathing shed at the beach. Patrolling members camped near the beach. This very first clubhouse was built with funds raised by the local Lifesaving and Ambulance Society and the Chamber of Commerce, for just £205 in only 2 months. The two-story building was opened by the Governor of Queensland Sir Matthew Nathan on 3 November 1924. Between 1924 and 1937 the building served the dual purposes of Ambulance Depot and Lifesaving facility.

The 1924 Surf Club building was replaced in 1956, after post-WW2 modifications of boatshed and kitchen had been added on to this original building.

From its humble beginnings Maroochydore SLSC has become one of the powerhouses of Surf Life Saving in Australia and throughout the Lifesaving world. Maroochydore SLSC was crowned World Club Champions in 2000 and 2002. At its Centenary in 2016 it had 200 patrolling members and 11,000 members and supporters.